Register For This Race Online
2016 Continental Divide Trail Run
This race is sure to please trail runners from all walks of life.
Distance: 15 mile trail run. PLEASE STAY TUNED FOR AN ADDITIONAL ULTRA DISTANCE ADDED FOR 2016
- The race will run to Long Lake before turning around and taking a left onto the Mountain View Trail from the Fish Creek Falls Trail.
- This course change (enacted in 2013) adds roughly 1 mile to the overall distance. No longer will runners immediately turn right onto the Mountain View Trail from the Fish Creek Falls Trail. This change helped us create a great aid station at the Lake!
- In an effort to put on a more sustainable trail running race, we have eliminated all cups from the course. Be prepared to carry your own water on the course and refill your device at the aid stations.
Shuttle to Fish Creek for Race Start:
7:00am sharp at the Knoll Parking Lot on Mt. Werner Circle. The shuttle will take you to the start (Fish Creek Falls parking lot). The race finishes at the top of the Gondola and all runners can download the Gondola to the base. Then it's just a short walk back to your car. There will be a clothing drop at the start that will be transported to the top of Gondola for you. You can also get dropped off at the Fish Creek start by your family or leave your car there, it is a $5 fee to park there for the day.
Course Map: Online course map in PDF format and a Google Maps course map
Race Date/Time: Saturday August 20th, 2016. This race begins promptly at 8:00am!
Location: Fish Creek Falls Parking Area at the top of Fish Creek Falls Road
- Packet Pick Up: Friday night from 4-6:00 pm at Twisted Trails on Lincoln Avenue in Downtown Steamboat Springs between 6th and 7th Street.
- For any packet pick up or registration info please do not call Twisted Trails, please contact the race directors
- NO REFUNDS, please do not ask us and put us in an awkward position, thank you!
- This race is capped at 120 runners: Pre-register online only. There is NO race day registration for this event. Register early to ensure an entry gift and please remember that post-race food is for runners and volunteers only. This race is challenging and not a beginner's trail race. There is over 4,500 feet of elevation gain, with the high point on the course at 10,420 ft.. The safety of our runners is our number one concern - due to popularity of this race and the remoteness of parts of the trail system we will be enforcing a 4 hour cutoff rule. 4 hours will be the cut off time for course support and to receive an official time to count towards the Running Series. In other words be prepared to enjoy the beautiful trails.
What you receive: Entry gift, great food, prizes for winners and raffle entry for prizes.
This trail race begins at the beautiful Fish Creek Falls parking lot at the top of Fish Creek Falls Road. From here runners will follow the Fish Creek Falls trail to the first aid station at Long Lake (new since 2013), runners will turn around and run back on the Fish Creek Falls trail to the left turn onto the Mountain View Trail. Runners will then cross the Mountain View Trail ending up at the summit of Mt. Werner (and the Steamboat Ski Area). Next you will follow trails down the mountain to the top of the gondola. After a post-race prize drawing, runners can take the gondola down for free. The total distance on this race is 15 Miles and is 90%+ on single track and <10% USFS dirt road and 0% pavement!. The course climbs a total of 4,800 ft with much of that in the first 6 miles and descends 3,200 feet.
You will find Aid Station 1 at Long Lake - 9,850 ft. and 5.9 miles. Aid Station 2 is at the top of Mt. Werner - 10,360 ft. and 12.4 miles. The finish line is at the top of the Ski Area Gondola - 9,061 feet and 15.0 miles.
Two Aid Stations: The 1st aid is at Long Lake (new since 2013). Leave Aid 1, run back down the Fish Creek Falls trail, take a left onto the Mountain View Trail and run over to the top of Mount Werner where you will find the 2nd aid station. There will be NO cups at these two aid stations. Runners must carry their own hydration device for water and should carry some Honey Stinger (which will be provided at the race start) or other type of energy food and perhaps even a shell in case the weather changes. We have updated our any weather policy to include the monsoons of 2014; we will run in rain or shine or snow but will not run on these trails when the conditions threaten the safety of our runners and/or when the runners feet threaten the delicate trail we operate on. Decisions to cancel the race will never be taken lightly and will only be a last resort. Once again - there will be no cups on the course. You must bring and be prepared to carry your own water bottle and/or hydration pack. We will have water & Tailwind at the aid stations to refill your device.
Friends and Family: Please be aware that any friends and family that would like to be at the race finish will have to hike or bike up to the Gondy or can purchase a pass to ride the Gondola.
Pets: Leashed dogs welcome but please be courteous at the start when the field is in close proximity on narrow single track.
Alex Pashley - Alex_pashley@vfc.com and Todd Givnish - firstname.lastname@example.org
Unofficial Race Records:
Nick Sunseri: 2011, 20-29, 1:47:50
Jonathan Huie: 2011, 30-39, 1:52:30
Kerrie Bruxvoort: 2013, 30-39, 2:15:36
Sarah Pizzo: 2013, 30-39, 2:16:11
Register For This Race Online