Register For This Race Online
2017 Spring Creek Memorial
This race is held in memory of Patty Brenner Hagberg who was struck and killed by a truck along the lower part of the trail in 1991. This race should remind us all of the importance of sharing multi-purpose use trails.
What: This race is a running series favorite!
The race is held on the beautiful Spring Creek trail with wildflowers and Aspen trees next to bubbling Spring Creek. The 9 mile race is run on an up and down scenic loop on primitive trail, two track, single track and briefly on forest service road. The challenging 9 mile course gains ~2,500 ft. in the first 4 miles with most of that being from mile 2-4. This section of the race takes the runner up unimproved rocky and narrow single track and over several large downed trees before it descends on a smooth rolling downhill trail. The 5K race is an out and back on the beautiful Spring Creek trail on rolling two track and single track. Come on out for a great day of running, a prize drawing and an even better post-race meal made by Freshies.
Walkers welcome and encouraged on the 5K course but not on the 9 mile course due to lack of accessibility and finish time constraints.
When: Saturday, July 29th, 2017
- 9 mile trail run begins at 8:00am
- 5K run/walk begins at 8:30am
- Kids fun run 8:35 am around the ponds
- Awards and raffle will start around 10:15
What you receive: Entry gift, great food, prizes for Top 3 M and F and raffle drawings. Sign up early, this one will sell out! We are once again offering a no-frills race registration option for runners (no entry gift but post-race food is included). In addition, if you would like an entry gift (think visor or shirt) please register by July 7th to guarantee.
Registration and more info:
- We offer a no-frills race registration option for both the 9M and the 5K (no entry gift but does include post-race food).
- Please no pets in the 9 mile race due to the very tight primitive trail on private land
- Pre-register online, registration will shut off Thursday July 27th at 8:00 pm
- Packet pick up Friday July 28th from 4-7 @ Twisted Trails on Lincoln Avenue in Downtown Steamboat Springs between 6th and 7th Street.
- Race day registration begins at 7:15 am IF STILL AVAILABLE, we have USFS caps on this race
- Race bibs can also be picked up the day of the race beginning at 7:15 am if you cannot make it on Friday
- Register early and please remember that post race food is for runners and volunteers only.
- Parking: Please walk, carpool or ride your bike if possible, parking is very limited. Start of race is at the Spring Creek Ponds/gazebo area which is ~.4 miles from the small dirt parking area, please walk up to the start as there is no runner drop off or parking at the actual start. If driving please park on the street, in the small dirt parking area or down the street in the SS High School parking area.
- Registration for the 9 Mile will be capped at 100 runners to ensure a good trail experience and to minimize impact.
- The 9 miler is partially run on remote and private land, due to safety concerns, this race has a time limit of 2 and a half hours to receive an official time and ensure we have course support to assist you if needed. If you do not feel like that time limit is attainable please register for the 5k. Raffle and awards will start promptly at 10:15.
- Have fun and enjoy beautiful Spring Creek!!
- NO REFUNDS, please do not ask us and put us in an awkward position, thank you.
- Registration increases by $5 for later registration at packet pick up, as well as the day of the race
Directors: Cara Marrs
Founder: Ken Brenner
- The 9 mile loop course takes runners up the old stage route to Buffalo Pass and then on to Dry Lake. The racers return on the Spring Creek trail and end up where they began at the Spring Creek Reservoir. This course offers at least a dozen stream crossings to add to the truly unique trail running experience.
- The 5K course follows the Spring Creek trail out and back.
- Click Here to see a topo map of the 9 Mile course
- Click Here to view an elevation profile of the course - (Image can be zoomed in or out using Internet Explorer by holding mouse pointer over map and then clicking on the symbol that appears in the lower right corner)
Directions to race:
- Heading into downtown Steamboat from the South, take a right hand turn at 3rd and Lincoln. 2 blocks ahead, turn right at Pine St leading you to 2nd street and past the SS High School. Spring Creek is at the end of the street on the other side of the road in the dirt parking area at the T-intersection. Parking is not permitted at the resevoir area, so you must park and then walk up the road for ~.4 miles to the start. Parking is very limited so parking in the high school parking lot is encouraged.
- There will be only one fully stocked aid station for the 9 mile race due to trail location. The main aid station will be located at approximately 4 miles at the Dry Lake parking area before the downhill starts. The 5K will have no aid station due to location but will have a volunteer stationed at the turnaround point.
- In an effort to reduce waste and ensure your hydration we strongly encourage hand held water bottles or other forms of hydration packs.
- This will be a CUPLESS race, including at the start and finish.
Top times for the new course starting in 2015 (new course is about .5 miles longer):
CR: 2016: Emily Harrison, 1:14:32
2015 Anna Mae Flynn, 1:17:12
CR: 2015 Ryan Mahalsky, 1:07:32
2016 Gabe Small, 1:08:32
Register For This Race Online